Need to calculate your hours worked, overtime, or pay rate? Use our online hour calculator to easily and accurately perform various time calculations.
What is an Hour Calculator?
An Hour Calculator is a helpful tool that helps you determine the time that has elapsed or how much time is remaining. It's like having a specialized clock that counts hours. For example, if you want to figure out how long it will take to complete your homework and start at 4:30 p.m., you can use an Hour Calculator to add up the hours and minutes until you finish at 6:15 p.m. It's incredibly easy to use: just input the starting and ending times, and it does all the calculations for you.
Importance of an Hour Calculator
An Hour Calculator proves invaluable for tracking time for various activities and tasks. Whether you need to know how much time has passed or how much time remains, using an Hour Calculator can simplify the process significantly.
An hour is a unit of time that consists of 60 minutes, and a minute is composed of 60 seconds. People typically tell time in two main formats: the 12-hour- and 24-hour.
- 12-Hour Clock: Imagine a clock or watch with numbers from 1 to 12. However, these clocks don't always indicate whether morning or evening. To differentiate, we use "AM" for "before midday" and "PM" for "afternoon." Midnight is referred to as "midnight," and noon (when the sun is highest) is expressed as "12 p.m." Some people also use "12 midnight" and "12 noon" to reduce confusion.
- 24-Hour Clock: This format employs numbers from 0 to 23, starting at midnight. At midnight, it's written as "00:00," and a full day lasts from midnight to midnight, totalling 24 hours. The hours from 0 to 11 correspond to the AM hours on a 12-hour clock, while the hours from 12 to 23 align with the PM hours on a 12-hour clock. This format, often called "military time," is used worldwide for its clarity and precision, especially by the military and other organizations that require precise timekeeping.
How to Use the Calculator
- Choose What You Want to Calculate: The calculator offers options for "Hours between two times" and "Hours between two dates." Select the one that matches your calculation needs.
- Hours between Two Times: If you choose "Hours between Two Times," input the start and end times. The calculator will then subtract the start and end times to provide the total hours.
- Hours Between Two Dates: If you opt for "Hours Between Two Dates," input the start and end dates, along with the specific times if needed. The calculator will calculate the hours between those dates and times.
- Read the Result: After entering the necessary information, the calculator will display the result, which may be in hours or a combination of hours and minutes.